Friday, July 13, 2012

Why Bother?


Verse: 2 Sam 9:1-13
And David said, is there yet any that is left of the house of Saul that I may show him kindness for Jonathan’s sake.

Reflection:
During David’s younger days, the Lord had knit his heart to Jonathans. Many times Saul would try to kill David but Jonathan would help him escape or let him know his father’s plans. Later in life we are told King David went about asking if there was anyone left of Jonathan’s family that he could show kindness. While asking around he was told of Mephibosheth, a lame man. This man was brought in his presence by Ziba a servant of the house of Saul. As you read the rest of the story you will notice David offered Mephibosheth all the land of Saul. We are also told this man would eat at the King David’s table all his life ( 2 Sam 9:11). I can imagine this lame man never thought in his life that he would sit at the Kings table. Now David did not have to go out of his way to look for this man, why bother?  Notice the verse says, “Is there any left of the house of Saul” this led me to think this was not the first person he was helping. He had shown much kindness to many of the house of Saul that he was now looking for any left. As I was reflecting on this story I realized many of Gods faithful people always went out of their way to help others and sometimes strangers. Abraham while seating at the tent door in Mamre saw the travelers and ran towards them. He pleaded with them to enter his house, rest, eat something then go on their way. We are told he went out of his way to make them comfortable and provide them butter, milk and some meat. ( Gen 18) Now am sure he had many other things to do, why did he bother? Lot while in Sodom did the same thing, he saw visitors at the gate and ran to invite them to his house in order that they may spend the night. He knew how dangerous Sodom was and wanted to make sure they were safe. Lot might have told his wife that he was bringing visitors home and she might have said why do you bother yourself. As I read these stories I am lead to wonder how often I stop to help, how often I go out of my way to assist another. How often I plead with people who seem to resist my assistance..My heavenly father went out of his way to invite me into his presence; he actually died for me and has now adopted me into the heavenly family. Wretched and poor, lame and blind I was but now I sit at the kings table and eat for all my life. He provides all I need and lack nothing. As I spend more time with him I learn of his character and today I choose to go an extra mile. There are many in our paths of life who need help, everywhere we turn we will see someone in need. Take the time to invite someone this Sabbath to your house and share that little meal, give someone a ride to their home, open the door for that little child who is too short to do it, or say hallo to that person that everyone doesn’t talk to. It’s my prayer that the spirit of God may open our eyes to see those in need around us and my soften our hearts to go that extra mile. Remember we are his hands, to touch the world around us, we are his feet to go where he may lead us. We are his light burning in the darkness, we are his love shining in the night. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment