Friday, August 24, 2012

It is in Giving that we Recieve

On the way to Church I was thinking about the tithing system in the bible and why we find it difficult to give to God what belongs to him. I thought about the amount I was to give this morning and a part of me felt like it was too much. Have you ever felt that way?





 Then came to my mind the sacrifice God gave in order to free us. My heart is humbled when I realized the eternal God, creator of all things, the King of Kings and Commander of Heaven was willing to give not for a day but eternally his life. He gave all of heaven for me and everyday I am reminded of his ultimate Gift in the blessings he showers me with.

Then I thought well if God gave all he had then that must be what heaven is founded on; self sacrificing life. The system of heaven is very interesting and in fact the opposite of what happens on earth. In heaven it's all about living for the other person. Here on earth we worry that if we give what we have, then we will end up lacking. If we go out of our way to help others then we will suffer and it will cost us a lot.What we don't realize is that when we give then, we are in turn blessed . Not only that but God is the one who provides all we have. When we give what he has given us to others then he supplies what we need. It's all an act of faith believing that the father will supply all our needs. The next time God calls you to help or go out of your way to provide something that seems big. Remember he will supply all your needs and he is the owner of everything.

I am reminded of two women in the bible who understood this concept and had faith in Gods ability to provide for them. The first is about a widow ( Luke 21;1-4) who gave her last two coins, that was all she had yet she gave it all. This was not an easy thing for a widow to do because those days a widow was considered a poor person with no one to support her financially. The other story is about the widow at Zarephath ( 1 kings 17:7-16) who made Elijah a small loaf of bread using the last bits of oil and flour she had. This woman had been prepared by God to truth his providence for her. It's my prayer that we may find joy in giving not tithe and offerings but extending love to those who seem undeserving. patience to those who seem to annoy or irritate us, mercy to those who have hurt us in the past. For it is in giving that we receive and it is my desire to be like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment